Unnao cases: Kuldeep Singh Sengar expelled from BJP, guards suspended

first_imgThree police security guards deployed for the protection of the Unnao rape survivor were suspended from service on August 1 for negligence. BJP Uttar Pradesh president Swatantra Dev Singh said Bangarmau MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar, accused of rape and allegedly behind plotting a collision with the survivor’s car, was expelled by the central leadership of the party after he was suspended by the State unit. “This is in the domain of the central leadership. When I gave my statement in Kanpur, this was not in my knowledge. As of today, Kuldeep Sengar is expelled from the party,” Mr. Singh said, clarifying his earlier comment.The survivor and her lawyer continued to be critical but stable, said King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, where they were receiving treatment. Both were still on ventilator support with multiple injuries.While the lawyer was shifted out of the ventilator for a while on a trial basis, the survivor has been constantly on ventilator, Sandeep Tiwari, spokesperson, KGMU, said in a statement.U.P. Director-General of Police O.P. Singh said the three police personnel deployed for the protection of the survivor were were not travelling with the family on the day their car collided with a truck while they were on their way to a Rae Bareli jail.The women constables, Ruby Patel and Sunita Debi and gunner Sudesh Kumar were penalised after an investigation by the district police chief of Unnao charged them with negligence. The police had earlier said that the three did not travel with the family on their request, as there was apparently not enough space in the car. The survivor was travelling with her lawyer and two aunts. According to U.P. Police, the family was allotted nine security personnel, including three personal guards for the survivor. The uncle of the survivor alleged in a complaint that the police detail accorded to his family kept Mr. Sengar’s men informed about their plans to shift their legal documents to Rae Bareli and did not travel with the survivor on the day of the accident. The rape survivor’s aunt, who was killed in the Rae Bareli accident, was cremated in her village, 70 km from Lucknow on August 1.last_img read more

Canadian Normandy veteran awarded Frances highest decoration for service

first_imgHALIFAX – Fred Turnbull was only 19 when his landing craft approached the beaches of Normandy as part of the greatest amphibious assault in military history.Now 92, Turnbull, who was a Royal Canadian Navy bowman-gunner, said he still vividly remembers the confusion of the D-Day landings on June 6, 1944.“From the air it must have looked like a mix-up of landing craft going in all directions,” the retired banker said, moments after receiving France’s highest decoration, the Legion of Honour, at a ceremony Friday at Canadian Forces Base Halifax.“And I think probably the worst thing was the noise. The noise was terrible because we had our own battleships firing in and the Germans firing out.”Born in Montreal, Turnbull was just 17 when he joined the navy in the summer of 1942. Serving aboard landing craft, he took part in several Allied operations including landings in Sicily, Normandy, southern France and Greece.His job was to drop the ramp of the landing craft and then jump over the bow to help steady it with a rope as the soldiers it carried disembarked and headed ashore.It was a dangerous job with little protection from enemy snipers, mortars, aircraft and minefields. Turnbull said there was little time to be afraid.“You just have a job to do and you do it,” he said. “That’s where the training comes in. You train so much, everything’s automatic.”Turnbull was presented with his medal by Laurence Monmayrant, France’s consul general for the Atlantic provinces. He is one of over 600 Canadian veterans who have been awarded the five-armed cross created by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802.“You are a living page of the history of my home country,” said Monmayrant. “Your contribution to its liberation needed to be recognized.”Monmayrant later said that meeting Turnbull and bestowing him with the award was a special honour for her.“I come from Normandy and from a very early age we are told of the role of the soldiers who came from the U.S., from Canada … who came to the rescue of France and Europe,” she said.Turnbull said he was proud to receive the honour, which he dedicated to his comrades in arms.“I never thought that this would happen,” he told a gathering of family, friends and military dignitaries.“But I’d like to say this is on behalf of all the landing craft crews.”Turnbull recorded his wartime memories in a diary, which at the time was forbidden by Allied authorities. The diaries eventually formed the basis of a book that was published in 2007 entitled “The Invasion Diaries.”He said he hid the diary in his hammock and recorded his thoughts often a week to 10 days after certain events had unfolded.“But then in the early 80s the government said all those who have diaries can deposit them in the national archives and get a tax benefit, so everything changed,” Turnbull chuckled.After the war, Turnbull studied history and economics at McGill University and eventually worked for Montreal Trust, retiring as an assistant vice president in 1989.“I got into business and you sort of forget day-to-day what went on,” he said. “Life goes on.”last_img read more

Peace Region mayors travelling to Ottawa to talk LNG with Feds

first_img“Fabricated industrial steel components tariffs are intended to prevent Asian markets from dumping subsidized products into Canadian markets in order to protect our producers,” said Kitimat mayor Phil Germuth. “However, it is absolutely necessary for LNG proponents in B.C. to import large fabricated modules to develop their liquefaction plants. “We feel it would be an absolute shame if our country missed out on this once-in-a-generation opportunity to secure billions of dollars of investment. We need to create a level playing field in order to be competitive on the global stage, so that we don’t see Canadian investment and jobs disappear. If just one of the proposed projects, LNG Canada, were to proceed it would be the single largest private investment in Canadian history.”While in Ottawa, the group of mayors intend to meet with a variety of key representatives from the federal government.According to the Conference Board of Canada, if an LNG industry comprised of one small and two larger LNG facilities is built in B.C., it will grow Canada’s economy by $7.4 billion a year for the next 30 years. These three projects would also raise national employment by 65,000 jobs a year on average and provide $6 billion in taxes to the federal government. OTTAWA, O.N. — Five mayors from the Peace Region will joined by the mayors of Kitimat and Terrace in meetings with the federal government this week on the topic of getting an liquified natural gas export industry realized in B.C.The seven mayors, including those from Fort St. John, Dawson Creek, Pouce Coupe, Taylor, and Tumbler Ridge, are scheduled to be meeting in Ottawa on Wednesday and Thursday to showcase to the government the benefits that an LNG export industry would bring to their communities, as well as to the rest of B.C. and Canada. In a joint press release today, There is broad support for LNG in B.C. amongst the communities that are most directly affected by the proposed activity.“This new industry will bring new investment, create new jobs, business and training opportunities and bring new revenue to B.C. that will help support social services including hospitals, schools, transportation and public safety,” said Fort St. John mayor Lori Ackerman. “These are not just benefits for northern B.C. but benefits that will be experienced throughout the province and all of Canada. Canadians will see the benefits of adding value to our natural gas, diversifying our trade opportunities, instead of allowing our natural gas to be shipped raw to the U.S., which is currently our only market outside of Canada.”The mayors are also planning on bringing up the tariffs on fabricated industrial steel components imported from Asia that could jeopardize the development of such an industry by making proposed projects less competitive in the global economy. The mayors say that consideration should be given to exempting LNG modules from FISC tariffs in order to level the playing field for potential LNG investors.last_img read more

Last Greyhound Bus leaves Dawson Creek

first_imgDAWSON CREEK, B.C. – A mix of public transportation services have already started to fill the gap as Greyhound Canada ends service in Western Canada.Greyhound Service to Fort St. John and Fort Nelson ended June 1, but service was maintained into Dawson Creek from Edmonton until Tuesday.The national motor coach operator is being replaced by a mix of provincial government-subsidized services, Indigenous-owned bus lines, locally owned startups, flexible fleets of shuttle buses and a scattering of formal and informal ride-sharing services. In our region, the Province created the BC Bus to serve parts of Northern B.C. after Greyhound pulled out, but as of today service between our area of the Province of Alberta will be non-existent.Red Arrow in Alberta has already started to operate on the route between Grande Prairie and Edmonton but at this point hasn’t announced any plans to extend service into northeast B.C.last_img read more

Charges laid in Prince George Child Pornography Investigation

first_imgAdminister a Stupifying Drug – 246(b) CCVoyeurism – 162(1)(c) CC“This is a disturbing case of child sexual abuse.  Our front line members did a great job in gathering evidence and ensuring this child was saved from the situation and further harm wasn’t brought to this child”. Says Cpl. Carmen Kiener of the Prince George RCMP.No other information will be released by police at this time due to a Court ordered Publication Ban. The following charges have been laid against him;Sexual Assault – Sec. 271 CCSexual Interference – Sec. 151 CCMaking Child Pornography – 163.1(2) CCPossession of Child Pornography – 163.1(4) CCDistributing Child Pornography – 163.1(3) CC PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. – RCMP received a report of child pornography that had been located in a Prince George residence on July 5, 2019.An investigation was conducted by the Front Line Officers and the Serious Crime Unit which identified the female child victim and the male offender. Police also discovered that this male offender was making and distributing child pornography of the female child.The male accused is Shawn Robert Dick, 52 years old, a Prince George resident.center_img Dick is a travelling salesman and travels throughout BC.  Due to these factors, police have not ruled out the possibility of more victims and are reaching out to the public.If you have any information about these Criminal offences or believe you or someone you know may be a victim, please contact the Prince George RCMP at (250)561-3300.last_img read more

PM Modi deplores attacks on Kashmiris across nation

first_imgKanpur: Prime Minister Narendra Modi Friday asked state governments to take stern action if there is any attack on Kashmiris, calling those who targeted them recently in Lucknow “crazed people”.In an apparent reference to remarks by opposition leaders after the recent air strikes against the Balakot terror camp in Pakistan, Modi also lashed at those demeaning the valour displayed by the armed forces after the Jaish-e-Mohammed attack against the CRPF in Pulwama. Also Read – IAF Day: Tributes paid to soldiers killed in line of duty in JammuAddressing a public meeting here, Modi brought up the Lucknow incident in which two Kashmiri vendors were thrashed on Wednesday, allegedly targeted by members of a right-wing group over the Pulwama attack that killed 40 paramilitary personnel last month. The prime minister called the perpetrators sirphirey log (crazed people) in near identical remarks at the meeting and on Twitter. “It is very important to maintain an atmosphere of unity in the country,” Modi said. Also Read – SC declines Oil Min request to stay sharing of documents on Reliance penaltyHe congratulated the Yogi Adityanath government for acting promptly over what some crazed people did to our Kashmiri brothers in Lucknow. “I would also like to request other state governments to take the strongest action possible wherever there is an attempt to do something like this,” he said. The prime minister was addressing the meeting after flagging off the commercial run on Lucknow Metro’s North-South corridor, through video conferencing from Kanpur itself. Modi also symbolically laid the foundation stone for the Agra Metro Rail project at the same event. He visited Varanasi and Ghaziabad too on Friday, launching development projects and addressing public meetings.last_img read more

BJP trying to spread communal hatred for votes says Raj Babbar

first_imgGorakhpur (UP): Uttar Pradesh Congress chief Raj Babbar Wednesday accused the BJP of diverting people’s attention from development issue and trying to spread communal hatred for garnering votes. Canvassing for party candidate Supriya Shrinate in Maharajganj seat, he said most of the development works were done during the Congress rule and his party is the real voice of the poor, backward and the downtrodden sections of the society. “The BJP is trying to divert people’s attention from development issue and are trying to spread communal hatred and seeking votes,” Babbar said at an election meeting in Maharjganj district. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh”Only the Congress is capable of carrying out development works for people belonging to all castes, religions and geographical areas… only the Congress can take the country ahead on the path of development,” Babbar said. Shrinate said she entered politics to fulfil the dreams of his late father Harshvardhan Singh who had been elected MP from Mahrajganj twice. “The district is facing massive problems, sugar mills are closed and there is no industry to provide jobs to the youth. Here, the struggle is between rich and poor. “Since the BJP came to power, our country has gone back many steps and there is no one to listen to the poor and helpless,” she alleged.last_img read more

Sergio Aguero brace wraps up Community Shield for City

first_imgManchester City continued from where they left off last season as a Sergio Aguero double helped them to clinch the Community Shield title.Sergio Aguero,29, proved deadly in front of goal and helped nullify the early stages of ‘Sarri-ball’ under the newly-hired Maurizio Sarri.The Blues were ahead regarding preparation having played more pre-season games with most of the first team players present in those games.However, Pep Guardiola’s Blues are at a far more advanced phase and showed just why they strolled to the title last term, with Aguero capitalizing from good work from Phil Foden to break the deadlock.It was Bernardo Silva, another player likely to take a leap in his development this term, who set up the second with a lovely ball in behind that Aguero duly gobbled up.Tammy Abraham, ChelseaChelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.The Cityzens still look the clear favourites ahead of their Premier League opener vs. Arsenal next week, while Chelsea have plenty of work to do before their trip to Huddersfield.The Community Shield is ours! #mancitypic.twitter.com/4FHjB6Dsg3— Manchester City (@ManCity) August 5, 2018last_img read more